Hackensack River Canoe & Kayak Club
Membership Application & Renewal
Guidelines For Trip Participants
Following are some trip
guidelines and recommendations that will go a long way
to ensure a pleasant, rewarding, and safe paddling
experience. Remember that trip coordinators may use
their discretion to decline participation to any member
or guest who may not have suitable skills and/or
equipment for the event conditions. All trip
participants MUST read and sign the HRCKC
2. Be on time -- normally, trip coordinators will wait only 10 minutes. Call if there is a problem.
3. Bring necessary
equipment - make a checklist. The following is
4. The following equipment
5. Make sure the trip coordinator knows if you can’t swim or have medical problems.
6. Cooperation is essential for shuttles, portaging, loading & unloading, etc. Volunteer to help to the best of your ability.
7. Trip coordinators may designate a “lead” and a “sweep” boat. Do not pass the lead boat or fall behind the sweep. Keep the next boat ahead or behind you in sight. Hold up if necessary, and signal that you are doing so. If you can, assist, wait for, and indicate the best passage through tricky spots for the boat behind you.
8. Blow your whistle in THREE SHORT BURSTS if you need assistance or you notice another boater needs assistance.
9. Don’t crowd the boat ahead of you in fast water. Allow room for back-paddling or ferrying to avoid collision when boats stop or slow to scout or negotiate rapids or obstructions.
10. Respect property owners’ rights. Don’t litter. Don’t block driveways. Ask permission to park. Use common sense and courtesy. Steer clear of fisherpersons and their lines.
11. Practice with your boat. The better your skills are, the more fun you will have. Be comfortable getting in and out of your boat. Practice “wet exits” and self-rescue. Learn skills to assist with rescue of others.